The Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods (NECN) was founded in 1975 as an independent nonprofit organization comprised of 11 neighborhoods in inner North and Northeast Portland: Alameda, Boise, Concordia, Eliot, Humboldt, Irvington, King, Sabin, Sullivan’s Gulch, Vernon, and Woodlawn.
NECN’s mission is to increase livability through highly inclusive civic engagement and grassroots community building. NECN believes in creating healthy neighborhoods by engaging people to become directly involved in determining how their neighborhood evolves.
NECN provides support to neighborhoods through:
- Information and Referral – NECN is a general reference point if you have questions or are looking for something in our coalition boundaries.
- Project Assistance – We provide assistance for projects through funding, sponsorship, marketing, and more.
- Skill-building – We provide or connect residents, organizations, and neighborhood associations with opportunities to build their knowledge base through trainings, events, workshops, and more.
- Connections – NECN serves as a connecting point for residents, community organizations, and neighborhood associations to resources, organizations, and government agencies.
- Policy Formation – We provide channels for residents and organizations to inform and influence policy that affect the inner North and Northeast area.
Today, we met with the staff of NECN (Fran, Jessica, Laura, and Adam) to talk about ways we can collaboratively raise awareness about opportunities and resources for foster families, as well as, share information about neighborhood happenings. Sixty-three percent of our services at Kinship House is family therapy and we see a need to grow the awareness around supporting foster families in our community.
Stay tuned for updates!